DeLaWho? DeLaWhat? DeLaWhere?

The experiences of Me, Myself, and I(van), a young Delawarean, currently working in Cincinnati, Ohio



Your Daily Boondocks via Okayplayer.com


11.04.2004

 

False Threats and Renewed Passions

For about two and a half years, I have stated that I would move to Canada if Bush was re-elected. I would feel ashamed to a citizen of a country dominated by a population of uninformed and easily decieved persons. I did not want to be associated with that much stupidity. After the election results became clear yesterday, my first action was not looking for apartments in Toronto, Edmonton, or Montreal. My first response was one of surprise, astonishment, disappointment, emptiness, some might say a mini depression. While I am still recovering from those emotions, I have never once thought about Canada. (This is not saying that Canada is a bad place- in fact, Canada is a beautiful country whose beauty is only supplemented by widespread hockey fever.) In no way did Bush recieve a mandate from the results of this election. The people spoke and Bush squeeked it out by around a 3 percent margin. I am aware that it was not as close as expected, but it wasnt a landslide. In the next four years, I hope that our country succeeds, and I hope that the partisan lines are crossed for the good of our country. But, I know in 2008, I want to be here in the US to make a difference...to change the general direction that our country is going in. If I were to move to Canada I would not be able to make that difference with a vote. The United States, fortunately and unfortunately, is the dominant world power and we all have the priviledge to be United States citizens. If I want to help make changes in the way our country is growing, I have to be here to do it. I am not alone in my disappointment with the election results. 48 million people voted with me...thats a hell of a posse.

Comments: Post a Comment