DeLaWho? DeLaWhat? DeLaWhere?

The experiences of Me, Myself, and I(van), a young Delawarean, currently working in Cincinnati, Ohio



Your Daily Boondocks via Okayplayer.com


2.17.2004

 

Denison not a good school? WHAAA?

I was looking over some of the most recent posts of my classmates and I have to disagree with this opinion that Denison is not a good school. I find that people take the education they recieve here for granted. Seth commented that "Denison has a good reputation, I think, but one of my classmates might be right: Denison is not a specifically good school. To be honest, I learn more off campus than I do at Denison. My experiences at The Columbus Dispatch and other media organizations give me a much better, more practical education than Denison ever could. What does Denison have that others don't? I know it's not a journalism program." Okay...I agree, but whats the point? If you want to get an education in a specific subject area then go to a trade school or a large state school which does not have general education requirements. Denison is a top-tier liberal arts school...and a liberal arts school provides a well-rounded education which is supposed to give you a more broad view of the world around you. A liberal arts education does not train you specifically for any position in the work force. I am tired of people making gross generalizations about this school, other schools, their homestate, even Ohio. Sure, there is room for improvement here at Denison...but a couple weaknesses do not make it a bad school. I feel that I have recieved an extremely good education in my year and a half here at Denison. My views have been expanded and/or reaffirmed. If you are unhappy here then make a change like Dr. Gilbert. Make the move instead of being "stranded in ohio". If you are only happy when you are unhappyor complaining...thats a bummer.

Comments: Post a Comment