DeLaWho? DeLaWhat? DeLaWhere?

The experiences of Me, Myself, and I(van), a young Delawarean, currently working in Cincinnati, Ohio



Your Daily Boondocks via Okayplayer.com


3.23.2004

 

Cutting in front of the gov't

Getting involved in government isn’t that hard when you live in the second smallest state in the Union. We only have one state representative, Castle, and like every other state we have two senators, Biden and Carper. There isn’t much room to run when you live in Delaware, so many everyday experiences can involve brushes with these VIPs. My mom has seen Joe Biden, a very influential senator who is currently going after the MLB for their lax policies when it comes to steroids….but I digress. As I was saying, my mom has run into Biden at the local supermarket as well as the Brandywine Brew Pub, a restaurant/bar (no worries though, he isn’t an alchy). So, a couple days ago as my mom and I were sitting at a stop light, my wandering eyes saw the person next to me brushing his teeth. I found it amusing, so I glanced back a second time and I saw the profile of a familiar face. A third look confirmed my hunch that the driver of the adjacent car was indeed one of Delawhere’s two senators, Thomas Carper. So, I turned to my mom and let her know about our automobile neighbor. As my mom looked over, she began to say that Carper is very uncomfortable receiving attention. Almost on cue, Carper’s minivan inched forward so that his driver’s side window was not viewable. My mom and I shared a laugh as the light changed to green. The upcoming intersection is a confusing one as the lanes shift to the left. My mom needed to switch lanes to the right (Senator Carper’s lane). She signaled her lane change and needed to make the lane change. Carper seemed to allow her to make her move, but did not back off quite enough. So, we cut off Senator Carper because we obviously had more important places to go than our Senator. Who else has cut off one of their congress-persons? I will dare to say that I am the only on in the class that has had the honor.

Comments: Post a Comment