DeLaWho? DeLaWhat? DeLaWhere?

The experiences of Me, Myself, and I(van), a young Delawarean, currently working in Cincinnati, Ohio



Your Daily Boondocks via Okayplayer.com


4.01.2004

 

"I am fascinated by Hip-Hop,"

According to MTV.com John Kerry, the democratic candidate for president said on MTV that "I'm fascinated by rap and by hip-hop. I think there's a lot of poetry in it. There's a lot of anger, a lot of social energy in it. And I think you'd better listen to it pretty carefully, 'cause it's important."

The Democratic candidate added "I think that there is a line you draw between government intervention and the right of speech and the right for people to express themselves, but do I think there are standards of decency in that? Yes, I do. Do I think that sometimes some lyrics in some songs have stepped over what I consider to be a reasonable line? Yeah, I do. I think when you start talking about killing cops or something like that, it bothers me."

Kerry continued "I'm still listening because I know that it's a reflection of the street and it's a reflection of life, and I understand all that. I'm not for the government censoring or stepping in. But I don't think it's inappropriate occasionally to talk about what you think is a standard or what you think is a value that is worth trying to live up to."

When I first read this I was surprised. Once the shock wore off that he would address the question "Well, we know that you were into rock and roll when you were in high school, and we know that you play the guitar now. Are there any trends out there in music, or even in popular culture in general, that have piqued your interest?" with his response. I was pleased that he stuck his neck out. He mentioned some of the positive aspects of hip hop and mentioned some of its negative aspects. And while he said those things he also took a shot at the gov't and gov't censorship. At least thats what i think he said. I wonder if Kerry "gets down" to NWA?

Comments: Post a Comment