DeLaWho? DeLaWhat? DeLaWhere?

The experiences of Me, Myself, and I(van), a young Delawarean, currently working in Cincinnati, Ohio



Your Daily Boondocks via Okayplayer.com


7.23.2004

 

A History

Today, while stocking shelves with cookies and crackers in a local grocery store, I saw my 8th grade social studies teacher, Mr. Cheeseman. Mr. Cheeseman was one of my favorite teachers during my "lower"-education (as opposed to higher education AKA College) career. To completely understand his brilliance, you have to witness his classroom located in AI DuPont Middle School. As you enter his historical shrine, there is nary an area of light-brown wall to be seen, because covering his walls are the covers of every TIME magazine ever published. Old political ads and posters, flags, pictures, etc. hung down over student's desks. Civil War muskets, relics, bullets, and clothing is placed strategically around the room along with busts, old political mugs and other interesting and attention grabbing relics. I think the idea was that, if they arent paying attention to him, at least they would learning something....it worked. Mr. Cheeseman's room was a vault of learning...he was an engaging teacher who lead us in 2 week long debates- including one that took place before the Civil War. Each student was assigned to play a congress person for the 2-plus week debate. In playing the senator, the student had to answer not as they would answer but as the senator would answer. Thankfully, I was able to play a very liberal senator from Iowa. It was a great learning tool. Mr. Cheeseman also took our class down to Williamsburg, VA to experience history outside of a textbook. He also organized a trip for the 8th graders to go to Italy. We stayed in Venice, Rome, and Florence while touring the Italian countryside. It was an amazing trip. All that being said...as he wandered around the grocery store, I looked up and thought about saying hello...but second guessing myself because I was afraid he wouldnt remember me (I was a lot shorter than 6'2'' during 8th grade...and a tad bit chubbier). Now, as I type, I wish I would have greeted one of my favorite teachers with a friendly hello and thank-you for his passion for teaching.

Comments: Post a Comment