DeLaWho? DeLaWhat? DeLaWhere?

The experiences of Me, Myself, and I(van), a young Delawarean, currently working in Cincinnati, Ohio



Your Daily Boondocks via Okayplayer.com


9.24.2004

 

Beautifully Human

On a trip to Ironbound Island in Coastal Maine, last week, I realized that there were only a few things that I really missed while away from "society"...one of those things that I missed was instant and everlasting to auditory pleasure. The trip spanned from Wednesday to Sunday, most of which was spent in a cabin without electricity and hot water. I made the decision to bring my iPod on the trip, thinking that I would just use it for the flight there and it would pretty much run out of batteries by the time I would reach Maine. However, I conserved the batteries and saved some music for the down time at the cabin. The trip was amazing and after a day of hiking around the island, there was no better use of time than to sit outside and listen to the new Jill Scott CD. Jill Scott, whose most recent album was released in 2001, has quite possibly the most confident, smooth, flawless, uplifting, and powerful voices that I have ever heard. There is another level to her voice, a level of passion and happiness that empowers and draws the listener in. "Golden", the infectious first single of the album, is a trademark Ms. Scott song, filled with positivity and joie de vivre that is so refreshing. The up-beat and uplifting lyrics have the song a step away from gospel. The entire CD is amazing, but "Golden" is like no other on the CD, it is a song whose subtle complexities leave you fiending for another go round. Add lyrics like "I'm taking my freedom/pulling it off the shelf/puttin' it on my chain/wearing it 'round my neck/I'm taking my freedom/puttin' it in my car/wherever i choose to go/It will take me far" dig deep into the soul and brings out a level of pure joy that is unmatched. Other standout tracks...well how about the entire album, I especially enjoy "Warm Up", a brief warm-up routine backed by a catchy breakbeat, as well as "Family Reunion", "Spring Summer Feeling", and "My Petition", where she expresses her disappointment with her beloved country. The closing track "I Keep/Still Here" closes up an amazing music adventure guided by the soulful voice of Ms. Jill Scott, a true musician.

Comments: Post a Comment